prairie girl

prairie girl

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Waving hello, not goodbye

I have decided that I want to celebrate life. I want to celebrate birthdays. I want to celebrate each holiday that the year offers.
When my mother told me that she had cancer, it all seemed surreal. It was real, death was close. I focused on being strong, and sung songs to her in the hospital room as we waited for her surgery. My voice trembled as she put the sheets over her head as they wheeled her away. I just saw three little fingers poke out from under the sheets and wave good bye.She did not want me to see her cry. Finally, in a moment of abandon she tugged the sheet down and asked me for a kiss goodbye. That is when I realized cancer is real.
I am done with saying goodbye to family members that I love.I want to celebrate Hello. I want to celebrate the people who fight for their life, and cherish what they have. Now. Not tomorrow. Now.
I want to celebrate people who openly hold out their arms to welcome people they love and maybe people they don't love. I want to celebrate tiny fingers that wave hello.
My mother is winning her battle........I know this because she is celebrating life. :)

1 comment: