prairie girl

prairie girl

Monday, August 30, 2010

SEARCHING FOR HASH TAG GOD IN A DIGITAL AGE

My cousin and I are night owl 'philosopher kings' who often like to debate situational ethics within the digital age. I often revert back to memories of our childhood where I can weaken his resolve with embarrassing stories exposing the heart of each discussion.........

My kind hearted cousin was popular as a child and had quite the following as we sauntered to the park each afternoon while visiting our grandmother. Children would scurry to put their runners on knowing that he and I were going to introduce a new game that would amuse them for hours. Lurking near the drive way was my cousins nemesis often jealous of the fact that my cousin was tall and husky, mistaking him for nine years of age instead of seven. Jumping out in front of us before we reached the park, the tattered boy threatened to punch us if we continued on our path. The park was his he said, and we were only allowed to play there if we agreed to abide by his rules. Being a year older with less of a sensitive soul, I simply responded with 'I will fill your potato chip bag with rocks and make you eat them if you touch my cousin.' The comment was very effective, and the roughneck allowed us entry without strings attached.

With big puppy dog eyes my cousin looked at me with disbelief.....unsure of who he should fear. He resolved the disagreement between the bully and I by walking home. I had just won a victory that would last all week, and he marched away in the opposite direction?? They say that sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never hurt us. That is why I prefer stones! It is not like the words stung?? For my cousin, the park was simply a chance to socialize because he loved people. I even remember him inviting a handicapped boy to come play with us, because no one else would. The park for him was not about territory domination, and the clash of bullies deciding who rules.

Now that we are older the debate is about the internet, not the park....

Is meaningless chit chat on the internet really the new social medium? Is a play by play of ones love life on twitter more interesting than the evening news? I have to admit, that I too have been absorbed by pithy comments as I check my profile each week. I know......I am a slacker who is too undisciplined to post each hour........some of us still have real lives! What is the role within this new social medium for Christians? There is a new generation now who is so consumed by the digital age that they are unable to decipher fantasy from reality. Is posting about God a truthful reflection of who he is or are we simply trying to conquer territory in the name of God? Every time we put a hash-tag in front of Jesus, God or the bible it makes me wonder what we have made and labeled God as. Are we seeking the right God in this digital age?

If Christians have invested in a computer and enter the digital world, they are commanded by Gods word to be stewards of their property. Each decision they make is a reflection of that stewardship. According to my cousin we can be tasty salt or too salty. How is it possible to be too salty? We become too salty by simply posting words full of God like form without any genuine meaning. The bible says that we will overcome by the power of our testimony. The digital age has allowed us to share our testimony......so we should. The truth is.....Words do hurt in spite of what we were taught. However, words can also produce life. Even the third commandment in the old testament is-DO NOT TAKE THE LORDS NAME IN VAIN. This means we should not use his name in any way that produces death or vain living. Our lives, our search and our testimony should not be in vain. Our hash-tag should not be for the purpose of simple surfing to relieve boredom. Hash-Tag God should not be for the simple purpose of conquering more cyber space. Our hash-tag should lead us to the truth.......Not a truth...........THE TRUTH.

1 comment: